What's new in the latest build?

#0.13.6

• Fixed two crashes introduced in 0.13.4, related to the new building preview model, if you tried to place either a Real Money Shop or a Scenery building, respectively.
  • Fixed a rare crash if you managed to lay out a network cable such that it doesn’t actually provide any network coverage at all. I’m not sure how you’d actually do this, but I have the crash log to prove it happened. Fixed now. But as general game strategy, I don’t recommend laying a network cable which doesn’t provide any network coverage anywhere. Not a good use of money. :smiley:
  • Fix for a silly bug which was causing all regions in a new game to be initialised with an identical terrain palette of: “Fields, Deserts, Mountains, Forests”. Now regions have their terrain palettes correctly randomised again. Note that only new games will show the fix for this, since it only affects initial first-time game creation.
  • Tutorial windows no longer close if the user hits ‘escape’.
  • Tutorial window text is now slightly larger (16-point text, instead of 14-point).
  • Did some minor editing on tutorial messages.

#0.13.7

• Adds an info window for NPCs. This replaces the old quest editing interface, but doesn’t yet provide any new functionality. Quests are in their own tab, and can be dragged to rearrange, or swiped-right to delete.
  • A first pass at building/zone ratings. They’re rated on “Beauty”, “Convenience”, and “Danger”. Note that the criteria right now are pretty simple. But if you’ve done something that you think should have raised one of these statistics and it didn’t, let me know! (Note that buildings and zones only recalculate their statistics once every 15 seconds or so. If you leave their info window open, it will update whenever new ratings come in). Ratings are visible in the info windows for buildings and zones, but need a better widget; right now they’re just lines of text on the main tab.
  • These ratings affect the benefits players receive from activities at those buildings or zones, and also what they choose to do (based upon their remembered ratings; not necessarily the same as the actual current ratings)
  • Player needs now decay 33% slower; it now takes 20 minutes for a subscriber’s need to drop from 100 to 0; previously it took 15 minutes.
  • Testing further Steam integration on Windows, just fetching some data which I couldn’t fetch before. (I actually thought I put this change out weeks ago, but apparently I forgot!)
  • Reverted a few minor changes to the front end visual effects; more like they were in 0.13.0, now.
  • Turn off SMAA during the loading sequence, if the user has it enabled. (SMAA doesn’t affect things in that scene normally, so it was causing a subtly noticeable shift when it turned on at the start of loading, and off again at the end of loading)
  • Digital line blocks now render using vsLines3D instead of using actual OpenGL lines. This means that they look a little less jaggy.
  • Fixed the blockiness of the water specular lighting (which has been there for ages, but nobody ever mentioned)
  • Sped up window rez effect. Most windows now rez in over a quarter of a second, down from half a second. (“slow transition” windows still take a full second)

#0.13.8

• First pass at a proper text edit widget.

Every text edit box in the game has been converted over to this new text edit widget. Note, though, that I haven’t re-laid-out any dialog boxes, which means that the text edit areas still look exactly like what they looked like before, except that they no longer have an underline to denote editable text (since that was part of the previous widget).

I’m going to have to go through everything adding nice boxes around things, to make it really clear that they’re editable text, or something like that.

• Added an “I-Bar” mode to the game cursor.

I found that it was often difficult to click precisely where you want in a text edit box, when the cursor was rotating while you moved it (even though the actual cursor hotspot movement precisely matches the OS cursor movement; the rotation has absolutely no effect on the cursor itself), so I’ve set up the cursor to point upward whenever it’s hovering over a text edit widget. This gets the main body of the arrow out of the way of the text string. I think I actually like this behaviour more than the traditional I-bar cursor you get in most OSes; the cursor remains highly visible and continues to move from its tip instead of from the middle (the way that traditional I-bar cursors do), but the main body of the cursor gets out of the way.

And that’s it! Ordinarily I wouldn’t put out a build with so little new stuff in it, but I’d like to have a few more people banging on this and making sure that it all works correctly.

Note that these text edit boxes still don’t do any validation of input; it’s still possible to stuff far too much data into them, or characters which are illegal for what we’re going to do with them, or to put spaces at the end of a game name. So… uh… don’t do that. Input validation will start coming in the next build.

#0.13.9

• Entirely revamped visuals for the network view.

• Fixed shading to apply the correct amount of light to models. Makes models look a little softer, and fixes flickering as surfaces come in and out of light.

I’m immensely embarrassed at how long it took me to notice that this was completely broken, before.

Before <---- -----> After

• Fixed daily counters to correctly update totals-across-all-days.

This is things like the "Customers today: x Customers total: y" values in the info windows for shops. Previously, the ‘total’ values weren’t updating.

• During load, we now track precisely how long different phases of the load take to complete, and send that data, along with your CPU specifier, to a stats server.

This is just to give me a better idea about how long loads are taking, on average, with different CPUs, to help me to decide which parts of the load most deserve attention for optimisation. The only data sent is your CPU brand string (if provided by your CPU; anything built in the last fifteen years or so should work. On my computer, for example, the CPU brand string is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz), and the number of seconds taken during a few different stages of the load. This upload happens in a background thread; it shouldn’t be noticeable at all. The information is simply discarded if you’re offline.

Edit: Forgot to mention; it also includes the version number of the build you’re running, and whether the build is a Windows, Linux, or OSX build. Just so I can compare performance.

• Text edit widget input validation has been added everywhere in the game. Numeric fields now can only receive numbers. Fields which are going to be used to name files now only accept legal filename characters. And so on.

I’m sure that determined people are going to be able to break this. Please let me know if/when you do!

• When being placed, network nodes now draw grey on the terrain, to show you the area they’ll cover when you place them.

Previously, you had no clue how big network coverage was going to be, when placing a WAN.

• Extra sanity checks around duplicate waypoints being placed in a road, and extra safety in case of paths with only duplicate waypoints being loaded from an older save game.

I had a crash report which was apparently caused by a path with at least one duplicate waypoint. I can’t figure out how that could happen in the current build,unless it was a path with only a single waypoint (which isn’t legal; paths need to have at least two waypoints, or else they don’t actually go anywhere). But this change makes it so that even if it happens again, it shouldn’t crash, and it will try to automatically destroy that “single waypoint” road. (It will also note the problem in the log, so it’ll be easier to debug and see what happened).

• Fixed a crash if a Real Money Shop ever loses its network connection.

I really need to get a proper building model made for Real Money Shops. I keep forgetting to account for buildings which don’t have real models, when I implement effects on them.

• Offline network nodes/pipes now draw their coverage areas in grey in the network view.

Previously, areas with no bandwidth in them were indistinguishable from functional areas.

• Text edit widget highlight color changed, corners fancied.
  • Fixed NVidia OpenGL warnings in the actor editor.
  • Fixed a small memory leak ( <1kb) which occurred every time you loaded into a game.
  • Fixed a potential use-after-free bug involving lights, if a light flagged itself as modified on the same frame that it was destroyed.

#0.13.10

• Improved game loading speed!

In my testing, this reduces load screen duration by about 90% on Windows, and by about 30% for Linux/OSX (which were already much faster than Windows). This brings the platforms into pretty close alignment, in terms of loading screen duration.

• Restored Text Edit widget “command” functionality.

When I re-implemented the text edit widget to support cursor-based editing, I accidentally broke its ability to send UI messages when its string has been changed. This led to some issues such as the save dialog not enabling the ‘Save’ button even after the user had renamed the save game. This now works again.

#0.13.11

• Quests now receive ratings, which are considered by players when deciding what they want to do next.

These ratings are visible in the quest boxes, in the info window for the NPC who gives out the quest. The UI for this is really ugly right now, but the values are visible. (They’re the ‘B’, ‘C’, and ‘D’ values over on the right side of the quest box. They’re hidden to make space for other UI elements when the quest is selected, which is awkward. Sorry about that. This obviously needs a lot more UI work to make it nice. But it’s at least functional now.)

These ratings update about once per real-world minute. So if you make changes, it’ll take anything up to a minute for the ratings to adjust to account for whatever you did. The window will automatically update when new ratings come in.

These ratings are based upon the journey from the quest giver to the quest location, and on the amount of work which must be done to complete the quest.

Also note that the rating works based upon the path a player would take to get from the quest giver to the quest destination; It’s not based upon the straight-line path that the quest arrow shows. So you want to have nice scenery along any roads being used, you want everything along that path to be convenient (ideally), and you ideally don’t want to be sending players too far away, or for their best paths to be passing through needlessly dangerous areas… all that sort of thing.

• Roads now receive ratings.

These are completely invisible (unless you want to go browsing through your saved game files), and aren’t used for anything except as a helper for calculating quest ratings, when those quests involve travelling over the roads. These will also be used as an input into the ratings of any buildings near the roads, but that’s not yet implemented.

• Game logo now actively hides itself after the load.

Prevents the “ghost logo” sometimes seen during gameplay, as reported by a few people.

• Save dialog now defaults its save game name to “Unnamed Save”

Additionally, it starts with the game name widget focused, and with the whole game name selected. So if you want to change the name, all you have to do is to start typing. This also means that the ‘save’ button is always visible in the save dialog (previously, you had to manually change the save game name first, in order to make the ‘save’ button appear).

• Periodic tasks now space themselves out better.

This is stuff like periodic ratings recalculations. Previously, they would all bunch up and then there would be a long stretch of time before anything would calculate again. Now, if there are ten things which each happen once per minute, then one of them will happen every six seconds. Previously, those ten things would all happen during the first sixth of a second, and then nothing at all would happen at all for the remainder of the minute.

You… don’t really care about this one at all, to be honest. But I was pleased with myself for figuring out how to make it work, and so I’m including it in the “What’s new” list, even though I’m the only one who will ever notice or care. :smiley:

A very small update for today, to get feedback on a specific UI change:

#0.13.12

• As a test, merged the ‘selection header’ into the ‘info window’ for simulated players. The info window now opens automatically when selecting a simulated player, and closes automatically when that player is deselected.

This only affects simulated players; everything else (monsters, NPCs, zones, regions, etc) still use the old, separate selection header and info windows.

I’ll be making a topic for folks to post their reactions to this!

#0.13.13

(This actually came from the 13th candidate built for 0.13.13)

• Fixed an AI bug which could result in high-level players getting ‘stuck’ in low-level regions.

When a player has outlevelled a region, they now actively try to move into higher-level regions (if any), instead of sitting stationary wherever they are. This touches on some larger problems of player knowledge (“What should I do, if I don’t know of anything useful I could be doing?”), which I need to address really soon.

• Revamped the game mechanics around players respawning after death.

Players now leave behind a ‘corpse’ when they die (in this case, a gravestone), and instantly respawn as a ghost at the nearest respawn point. From there, they may either pay a fee to respawn immediately, or may travel back to their grave to respawn there without penalty.

• Fixed a bug which was causing in-game prices to incorrectly be treated as ‘free’.

This mostly happened when you had a building which was providing a free service, and you changed it to have a cost in in-game gold. Now should be fixed (even for buildings which were saved while being affected by this bug).

• The title screen’s main window no longer closes if you hit ‘escape’.

(oops!)

• Reformatted the “Info Windows” for players, NPCs, buildings, and zones. Added a (very simple) info window for monsters.

These are all now using a window of a single size, and all open and close the window as you select and deselect them. This means that NPC quest editing is now constrained in a much smaller window; I’m not completely happy with that; will need to think about it!

These info windows now have much better formatting for their data values, and a more fancy way to display their statistic meters. Slider widgets, too, have been updated (but still need more work)

• The player info window now displays player happiness and addiction on a (0 -> 20) scale, instead of a (-10 -> 10) scale.

Same meaning, just a little easier to display.

• Re-laid-out the main header HUD panel. It’s now slightly larger, in order to use larger, clearer typeface.

…and I spent about a day working through build problems relating to having updated the game’s build server software. I love the software, but this last update broke a bunch of stuff. All seems to be good again now, though. (Crossing fingers!)

#0.13.14

• Adds media awards.

Once per day, your MMORPG might be given an award by a media outlet. Awards can be positive or negative, and will affect the rate at which you gain subscribers. You can view your awards on the “Advertising” tab of the MMORPG Overview dialog.

• Adds advertising campaigns

Want more users? You can spend money to launch an advertising campaign, which will result in more users joining your game. Advertising campaigns currently all last for seven days, and you can have up to four active at once.

Caution: The amount of users you receive with each of these campaigns probably isn’t right. The “Free Game Voucher” one, in particular, gives so many that your game will probably collapse under them (or at least, mine always did); you probably want to have multiple starting areas to lighten the load, if you want to experiment with it. If you do try it, I’d be really interested to know how it works out for you!

• Adds an overall MMORPG Rating to the MMORPG Overview window.

This is a value out of 1,000, with higher numbers being better. This number should generally go up as your game gets bigger, and as your players are happier.

• The algorithm controlling when new subscribers join the game has been completely rebuilt.

In general, you should now receive new users at a substantially faster (though less reliable) rate than before. This is primarily based upon the MMORPG’s current rating, any current awards, and any advertising campaigns you have active, along with a whole bunch of other bits and pieces.

• When unsure of what to do, players can now consult an online guide to your game.

Players will show “AFK” above their head when they’re doing this, but when they return to the game they will have learned about all the buildings and monster zones in their current region. In the vast majority of cases, this lets them continue to play normally.

Note, though, that having too many players doing this can harm your MMORPG’s rating. You’re much better off placing quest-givers to usher your players around from within the game, rather than relying on them alt-tabbing out into a browser to figure out where things are.

• Players are now able to see Landmark buildings from anywhere in a region, no matter how far away they are.

The old, standard way to help new players get from a region entrance to a distant town was to put a Quest Giver near the region entrance, with a quest that sends players to the town.

As an alternative, you can now just put a landmark in or near the town, and players are likely to explore to it on their own, without needing a quest to make them go.

(In general, quests will work best for players who want to gain levels or get loot, while landmarks will work best for players who want to explore. Doing both isn’t a completely terrible idea, but either one on their own should work for the majority of players)

• Inns can now hold 1,000 residents each, up from 100.

This was necessary because we’re now getting more subscribers more quickly.

• Fixed a rare, multithreading-related crash bug involving quests, while loading a saved game.
  • Increased render command buffer size. I had one crash report where someone apparently managed to overflow it, so this doubles its size from 1 megabyte to 2. Nobody will notice an extra 1 megabyte of RAM being used, right?
  • Rebuilt all the game’s fonts; smoooooth.
  • Fixed a flicker problem in the game’s various meters, visible mostly in the main header and the info window for things which have been selected.
  • A whole bunch of optimisations when the game is paused.
  • Fixed an issue with pathfinding running out of path nodes, if you have too many players logged in at once.
  • Building ratings are now recalculated every 30 seconds. Previously was every 15 seconds.
  • Main header now uses specified meter colors, instead of changing as their level changes.
  • Fixed savegame support for strings with explicit newlines in them.
  • Various font rendering and sizing fixes.

#0.13.15

• Fixes a crash if the user clicks on an empty text edit widget.
  • When placing network WANs and Uplinks, they now have a sensible number of particles, instead of an absurd number.
  • Hide the “cost” cursor floater (which appears when using a map-editing or building-placement tool) when the cursor is over UI.
  • Action bar tabs are now clickable even in the small gap between them and the action bar, and between tabs. I don’t think anybody’s going to miss not being able to click on the map in those little few-pixel gaps.
  • A few very small fixes to the loading screen effect which nobody but me will ever notice. Although one of them might have fixed the persistent (but rare) main-menu flicker. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping.

#0.13.16 : the @yxxxx2003 build
(because nearly everything fixed or updated in this build was reported or requested by @yxxxx2003)

• Fixes the game’s handling of unicode characters.

Oops! The updated text editing system from build 0.13.8 broke Unicode text input in all VectorStorm games. That’s now working again.

• Fixes a crash if you try to save a game using an empty filename. We now show an error message in that case, asking you to fix the save filename.
  • If you’ve completed the tutorial at least once (in this build or later), the game will remember that you’ve done so and will default the “Tutorial” setting to OFF, when you create new games in the future. On the other hand, if you have not completed the tutorial at least once, it hides the checkbox so that you can’t choose not to go through the tutorial that first time.

If this bugs you, you can go into your mt2.prefs file and add this line:

DidTutorial 1

With this, the game will assume you’ve already completed the tutorial and won’t force you to go through it again.

• If an exception is thrown by anything in the game, we now catch it and intentionally crash the game so that we can report what the exception was, when the game is restarted.

Previously, it just crashed the game and left no evidence to help me track down the problem

• If the game rejects your proposed MMORPG name for any reason, it now offers to set one for you.
  • If the game rejects your save game name for any reason, it offers to set one for you.

Also, some unrequested things:

• Adds support for selecting text using shifted arrow keys. In case anyone cares. :slight_smile:
  • Adds support for copy/cut/paste to and from the system clipboard, using your OS’s standard copy/paste key macros.
  • Adds simple ‘undo’ support while editing text, also using the OS’s standard key macros.

#0.13.17

• AI subscribers now receive a few new traits. In addition to potentially being whales (people with a lot of real money who are very happy to spend it), they now can also be “Friendly” or “Toxic”.

“Friendly” and “Toxic” players follow a slightly different strategy during the conversation game that AI players engage in, while standing in a conversation circle. Suffice to say that they each get rewards for somewhat different behaviours within the circle.

• If bad things happen to them, AI subscribers can become “Frustrated”. This has a few tiny effects which aren’t really worth talking about, but one big effect which definitely needs to be talked about. The big effect is that further bad things happen to a player who is already feeling frustrated, they may begin a “Tantrum”. In a tantrum, the player will begin to try to grief other players.

Right now, there aren’t a lot of ways to grief other players; mostly trying to upset people during the conversation game. But PVP is coming very soon, and once that happens, you’ll see a lot more problems from players who are having a tantrum. When a player is frustrated or having a tantrum, that information will be shown above their name, and in their info window’s “Stats” pane.

Both the ‘tantrum’ and the ‘frustrated’ states wear off when a player logs out, and can stop if good things start happening to the player (from their own somewhat twisted and/or annoyed point of view). N.B.: “tantrum” is not the same thing as “toxic”. ‘tantrum’ is a temporary state which will go away when the player leaves the game. ‘toxic’ is the basic state of a subscriber, and will stay with them forever. Players having a tantrum are easy to spot (it’s drawn in red right above their name), whereas players who are toxic are hard to spot (it only shows up on the ‘Stats’ tab of their Info Window. And if you know what to watch for when they’re interacting in a conversation circle)

• AI player names now appear over their heads.

I have no explanation for why it took me so long to do this.

• For the first time, the “conversation game” that subscribers play in social circles is now visible. One person talks, the others react. This feature is currently using Twitter’s CC-BY-licensed emoji, available from here.

• Visuals for the GUI slider widget have been rebuilt.

it’s a lot less painful to look at, now. Or at least I think so.

• Player AI stats in the info window are now drawn using meters, instead of sliders.

You can’t click and drag on them, so it makes more sense to draw them as meters, right?

• GUI elements are now slightly more blue and slightly less green.

It was all just a little too close to the background color of solarized-dark for my tastes. And while that is in many ways a fine color scheme, my eyes have been objecting to it for the last few years, after about six months of using it exclusively. I now instead use inkpot, which is much kinder on my eyes.

But I seem to have wandered from the point, which was the game changelog. Okay, back to business.

• Fixed several issues which resulted in players wandering around without their bodies.

One issue was related to not testing the correct location to see whether it was in view. Another issue was related to loading a game which contained players who were logged out (who would wind up logged back in after the load, but without their bodies attached), and there were a few others as well. I think I’ve caught them all, now.

• Adjusted the rez-in effect on small objects, such as players.

They now rez in faster, and with a more visible ‘rez’ process. Previously, they appeared to just be a big blue smudge until they finished appearing.

• New players now spawn facing the correct direction to exit their starting area, instead of always facing north. Additionally, they are slightly spaced out, so they don’t all spawn in precisely the same spot within a starting area.

• Fixed slightly broken rez effect for 3D objects which move to the south or west while still rezzing in.

Milestone 14 has been pulled forward (for various reasons that I’ll talk about maybe tomorrow), and will be sometime early this week, so I’m currently working on cleaning everything up, for a new milestone build. This version is the first part of that clean-up effort.

#0.13.18

• Fixed a crash when editing quadruped character models.

This involved renaming quadruped limbs to match biped limbs.

As a result, bears and crocodiles now have left and right arms and left and right legs, instead of having left and right front legs and left and right back legs. This means that actor editing of quadrupeds finally works properly. (there are still a few little issues to sort out, but at least it doesn’t crash!)

• People in a social circle will no longer walk away from the social circle while they’re in the middle of talking.

Instead, they’ll first finish talking, and then walk away.

• Players now value creation of a social circle about 1/8th as much as they used to.

Instead, players now much prefer to join an existing circle, or to travel to the nearest Tavern to try to find an already-existing social circle. This change makes Taverns much more useful, as players who want to chat will tend to travel to them. (Previously, creating a social circle right where they were standing was more attractive than traveling to a Tavern, and so people always created circles near themselves, rather than going to a Tavern)

Extra note: I’ve never actually seen players gather in a Tavern in a real MMORPG (apart from certain dealings in Goldshire which shall remain in Goldshire). In my experience it’s much more common for real MMORPG social circles to pop up around landmarks, rather than around taverns. So I’m considering changing Taverns to function as small Inns, and moving the “social circle magnet” functionality over to landmarks. That won’t be before this milestone build, though. Just something that’s been in my head for the past few days.

• Rez effect now speeds up when the game is set to a speed faster than normal.

(It remains at ‘normal’ when the game is paused, so that buildings visibly get created and destroyed when the user places them, even while the game is paused)

• Fixes emoji textures not being correctly destroyed when exiting the game.

Not a real issue, as the OS will destroy them for us immediately after we exit; this is just a code clean-up thing.

• Removed the “koboldarmtest” costume.

How did that take so long to get removed? It must have been in the game for at least a year, and it’s intentionally broken; a kobold with its arms floating in midair, to test the maths involved in moving limbs around.

• Removed the Steam achievement-testing GUI buttons from the main menu.

• Fixed GMs sometimes traveling far faster than they were supposed to be able to travel.

Whether GMs oughtn’t be able to simply teleport to where they’re going is another question.

• Removed buttons for ‘Place Boss’ and ‘Place Town’, as neither was really working correctly. They’ll come back once implemented properly.

• Removed the “That building has a really ugly visual model” thought.

• Moved the horizontal line under the animated MMORPG logo downward by two pixels.

This is a hugely important and impactful change, and absolutely deserves to have its own bullet point in the changelog.

#0.13.19

• Adds about 40 new scenery objects.

Many of these are automatically created within particular terrain types. Fields now get some rocks, deserts get cacti, etc. Others are only (currently) accessible via the Scenery tab. We still need heaps more, but these help a lot, I think!

• On the Scenery tab, there is now a single “Scenery” button, which opens a scrolling list of scenery objects for you to place.

Note that some of the objects have some visual issues, still. The barrel, for example, sticks down halfway through the ground. MMORPGs are pretty well-known for having absurdly huge scenery, but our cacti are even more absurdly huge than that; they probably need to be about a quarter of their current size. Some props aren’t even properly visible in the list; their models are being drawn down below the bottom of their buttons. Fixes for all of these and more will be coming in the next build!

• The confusingly-named “Build Scenery” tool (for making “scenery buildings”) has been renamed to “Set Dressing”. Also, it now uses the ‘Inn’ icon for its button, instead of text.

Needs a better icon. But for now, it’ll do.

• Adds three new terrain types: “PineForest”, “JungleForest” (which should probably just be “Jungle”, it now occurs to me), and “Icy”.

These new terrain types are mainly used when creating a new game; they won’t be used if you load an old save, unless you manually change your old regions to use these new terrain types, using a region’s info window.

• GUI Scrolling is now about 4x faster.

Previously it was 10 pixels per scroll wheel click, now it’s 40 pixels. I should probably make this configurable, though.

• Fix a crash if the game was considering giving you a “Best Visuals” award, when you hadn’t actually released your game yet.

It was checking what most of your subscribers thought about your game, and didn’t think to verify that you actually had any subscribers with opinions yet. Now we do.

• Your game can no longer earn awards before your game reaches version 1.0.0.

While testing, I was actually given a “Worst Value” award in a game which I hadn’t yet opened to the public. That shouldn’t happen any more! (Also, if you receive a ‘Worst Value’ award, I apologise; it’s kind of mean of me to have that in the game before you can actually change your game’s purchase price. I should really disable that for the moment.)

• Adjusted the colors of Dev and GM cursor arrows.

Their arrows now look more like yours, just with a different color outline.

• Dev and GM cursor arrows now maintain more of a traditional arrow shape.

Also, their motion is simpler, to make them read as cursors more easily.

• Fixes a crash tracked down by @Daniel, if you created a path which both started and ended on a single other path, with no intersections between the start and end point.

This was a complicated bug; it was about creating a new path that split another path into three different pieces; the code was only properly handling splitting into a maximum of two pieces. All works now!

• Re-laid-out the crash report screen so that the data which will be submitted in a crash report is actually legible. Sorry about that!

Also, I hope you never see this screen, and that my efforts in re- laying it out were entirely wasted. I actually wouldn’t mind that at all.

• Slider widgets now rez out correctly, after being used.

• Nicer placement of ‘value’ text on slider widgets.

• Master volume slider now resets correctly if you ‘cancel’ your changes to it. (Previously, it acted as though changes were being applied instantly, so you could preview the changed volume level. It still does that, but it also now resets back to the previous value if you click the ‘cancel’ button)

• Fixed the property panels in the ‘Overview’ report; they shouldn’t overlap any more, after numbers reach the thousands.

• Fixed broken meter rendering in the selection header, if you select an unowned region.

EDIT:

• Whoops, forgot to mention! There was a bug where if you changed a region’s terrain types using its info window, those changed types wouldn’t be correctly saved. Any scenery created would remain, but the terrain shape and color would revert to the original terrain type, the next time you loaded the game. This is now fixed.

Hi, everyone! This is probably the last build before Milestone 14. I’m pulling the last few bits together this weekend.

#0.13.20

• Fixed a problem which occurred if a GM or a developer went to handle a trouble ticket in one game region, but felt that the closest way to get there was to enter the game world was via a respawn point in a different game region. This could result in various weirdnesses; most commonly developers/GMs zipping around faster than they were supposed to, or completely frozen.
  • Renamed a few costumes. If you notice that classes or monsters have reverted to a default costume, it’s because the costume was renamed; you’ll need to reconfigure those models, to get them back. (This won’t affect new games)
  • Request list HUD interface now uses slightly larger type.
  • Network node placement tools now deactivate after use.
  • Fixed a small memory leak at game shutdown, related to player name-over-heads.
  • Small adjustments to tutorial and admin request prose.
  • If a tutorial script locks a tool while you have it active, it now deactivates that tool.
  • Better placement of region level text within each region (in the ‘grid’ view).
  • Region level text no longer glows, and is now easily visible/legible even when fully zoomed out on a tiny screen.

Okay, so it wasn’t actually the last build before Milestone 14; it wasn’t even the last build today! :smiley:

#0.13.21

• Fixes more causes of ghost characters visible on the map.

Big thanks to @Daniel for providing a saved game with a silly number of those ghost characters reliably visible, which made the problem much easier to find!

• Fixes dragging players around while the game is paused, again.

Seems like every time I put in an optimisation which makes animation code faster, I break this again. Sorry!

• Fixes players sometimes being surprisingly large while the game is paused, again.

Related to the above, but a different fix. In the game, when the camera is zoomed out, I make players and monsters draw just a bit larger, so they remain more easily visible. This is mostly invisible, except that I’d stopped adjusting their scales while the game is paused, which could make players look surprisingly large if you zoom right up to them while the game is paused. Now fixed.

• Fixes new games generating with all NPCs having silly type names and crocodile models.

Okay. This one is the last build before Milestone 14. I’d be very grateful if folks could kick the tires of this build; if no major issues are found in the next day, I’ll promote it to Milestone 14. Particular area to look at; It’d be fantastic if folks could play through the tutorial again, just to verify that all the prose is understandable; I’ve played through it so many times in the last week that I can’t really tell if the text is comprehensible any more. :persevere:

Edit: And again, I’ve gotten myself excited and accidentally posted the changelog before the build has even made it through the build server. Estimated time to the build being live on Steam: probably about 40 minutes.

Further edit: And it’s now live on Steam! Go test! :smiley:

#0.13.22

• Terrain editing buttons now update to show the correct terrain types, as you move from region to region in terrain edit mode.

This is one of those really, really old bugs that’s been known about forever, and just kept getting kicked down the road because it was never the most urgent thing on my plate. Feels good to finally have it sorted out!

• Adds placeholder icons for the majority of action bar buttons which didn’t have icons yet.

There are still some missing icons on the ‘Reports’ tab, for reports which are eventually going to go away and be merged into the overview report. Note that almost all of these are programmer art or public domain icons; they’ll be replaced with proper icons from my usual artist once they’re completed. But I wanted to stop staring at buttons with tiny text on them, in the meantime!

#Hey, Rocky!

Okay, this one is the last build before Milestone 14. Needs some general testing of walls to make sure there aren’t any crashes, and then Milestone 14. For reals this time! :smiley:

#0.13.23

• Walls now render correctly, and subscribers walk around them, instead of through them.

• Adds a ‘destroy’ button to the ‘Paths’ action bar tab, so you don’t have to switch to a different tab in order to destroy a path.

• ‘Destroy’ tool now won’t destroy network items if you don’t have the network view active. Similarly, it will only destroy network items if you do have the network view active.

This means you won’t accidentally delete expensive network gear when you can’t see it, and you won’t accidentally destroy roads or etc. when looking at the network layer.

• Fixes an extremely rare crash if someone unsubscribes or is banned from the game while in a conversation circle, and someone is speaking directly to them (not to the whole group).

This is rare because usually people will only unsubscribe after logging out normally; they’ll finish whatever they’re doing, go to their home inn to log out, and then just decide there’s no reason they need to ever come back.

But now that toxic subscribers can make themselves happier by intentionally annoying other subscribers in a conversation circle, it’s possible for subscribers to become so unhappy that they decide to quit the game forever right on the spot, without taking the time to go back home first. And if it happens while that toxic player is addressing them directly (rather than addressing the whole group), that could cause this crash. I’ve never seen this happen, personally, but @Daniel sent me a crash log where it had happened. And now it’s fixed! Thanks, Daniel!

Okay, here we go! Milestone build 14!
#0.14.0

• Fixes a crash when destroying a building after a load, if that building had been connected to a network cable in the save game which was loaded.

Buildings connected to WANs, or entirely disconnected in the save game were not affected.

• Fixes a potential “out of pathfinding nodes” error if you’re trying to make me cry by building insane mazes of walls to stress-test that feature.

Not to name names or anything, @Daniel.

• Placing terrain which subscribers can walk on no longer destroys NPCs or buildings.

As requested ages ago by @yxxxx2003.

Note that placing impassable terrain, such as mountains or chasms, still destroys nearby buildings, NPCs, and paths. So… be careful with that! I still need to better indicate the objects which will be destroyed, but at least it makes more sense that putting down terrain that players can’t actually walk on would destroy stuff.

• Fixes a rendering issue if the game is launched with shadows already disabled (rather than turning them off midway through a game, which already worked). Now the game works properly in that situation.

As reported by @yxxxx2003. Thanks!

…and now I’m going to go get some sleep! :sleeping:

#0.14.1

• Fixed a potential crash if you load a saved game which was saved after you placed the first starting point in a region, but before a developer had activated that starting point.
  • Fixed a bug which could randomly cause a game to not generate subscribers until after a save/reload.
  • Subscribers will now only be distracted by a newly discovered quest giver the first time they notice them, instead of every time they notice them. This fixes a pathological AI condition in which a subscriber would repeatedly walk back and forth in a single area, as they tried to do something but were being repeatedly distracted by a single quest giver.
  • You can no longer destroy the last respawn point in a region. I need to communicate better to the player about why destroying the last respawn point would be a very bad idea, but for the moment I’m just going to outright stop them from doing it, since it can lead to confusing problems.
  • The “Destroy” tool now makes the cursor draw dimmer when it’s not over anything which can be destroyed.
  • Various small fixes to AI path following behaviours.