What's new in the latest build?

0.17.72:

• Fixes various nav mesh and pathfinding issues, mostly around their interactions with flight paths.
  • Fixes a crash if you manually drag an NPC completely outside of the entire map.
1 Like

These are hopefully a last couple of patches before pushing the navmesh changes to the default Steam branch tomorrow! :smiley:

• Fixed nav mesh visibility debug option to default to off. Oops!
  • If someone tries to travel TO or FROM a map position which isn’t on the navmesh, instead of failing (or falling back to the old pathfinding system), we now find the closest navmesh triangle and pretend that we’re there, for pathfinding purposes. This should vastly reduce the remaining bits of bad behaviour from the pathfinding system!

0.17.74:

• We now always build navmeshes for owned regions, even if there aren’t any obstacles present. (fixes a number of pathfinding bugs involving empty active regions)
  • We now throw away navmeshes when a region is sold.
3 Likes

These keep getting away from me! :frowning:

0.17.75 - 0.17.77

• Lots of debugging and work on stability!
  • Shows a better message if OpenGL initialisation fails.
  • Log messages if waiting for an OpenGL fence takes a surprisingly long time.
  • Fix player badges not disappearing when players log out.
2 Likes

(this one was several days ago, oops again!)

0.17.78: NavMesh fix

• Fixed one last NavMesh generation issue, around handling of tiny tiny navigation triangles (this could cause problems if the navmesh generated triangles less than about 1cm on a side. It was a vanishingly rare error!)
1 Like

0.17.79 - 0.17.81: Localisation!

New in these builds:

• These are our first builds with localisation support! Each of these builds (which have been rolling out over the past two days) has added localisation support to more and more of the game. Right now, we have (partial, relatively untested) translations for French, German, Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed toward those translations! You’re all awesome. :smiley:

Not in the current test build yet, but we also have translations for Czech and Simplified Chinese; these are waiting on better font rendering tech to be able to support their increased number of glyphs. I have plans to get these into the game! But not yet an actual date that it’ll happen. I’ll keep folks up to date as we get closer!

So… this is pretty exciting to me! We’re trialing community translations, just to see how well they work! The translations are being hosted at Localizor.com; if you’re fluent in English and another language, and have an interest in helping out, please feel free to come over and provide some translations or vote for the translations you feel are most successful!

But my attention is mostly going back to game features now, as I start moving toward the next big set of features! :smiley:

6 Likes

0.17.82: (ten days ago)

• Fixed a major bug which caused ad campaigns to end early, and caused the finance graphs to display incorrectly each time a new day passed.
  • Fixed the game to obey non-breaking spaces in strings (i.e.: to not line wrap at the non-breaking space. This is useful for languages like French which typically puts a space between a word and punctuation which follows it!)
  • More localisation fixes, and updated translations

0.17.83: (eight days ago)

• Fixed a number of bugs involving destroying network fibers, and recovering from certain types of corrupted saves.
  • Fixed a navmesh generation issue which could sometimes break the navigation mesh generated around walls which formed a precise 90 degree bend.
  • Fixed the game to obey zero-width spaces. Do we need them? I don’t know! But I figured that I’d handled non-breaking spaces, so I might as well also handle zero-width spaces!
  • More localisation fixes, and updated translations

0.17.84: (six days ago)

• Adds a “submit save to devs” option which lets you upload a saved game to me from within the game itself; no more needing to upload to a cloud service and then send me a download url!
  • Adds a “Debug Tools” icon to the desktop which offers a button to open the log directory and save directory. Just in case that’s useful to folks.
  • During a load, safely destroy any orphaned roads or flight points. (these were another type of damage to save files which could have been incurred due to bugs in earlier builds of the game; this fix makes those saves work again)
  • Re-enables save file deletion, in the load game dialog.

0.17.85: (five days ago)

• Fixes a bug which could cause the monster zone tool to leave its brush visible, when the tool deactivated.
  • Updated translations.

0.17.86: (four days ago)

• Miscellaneous bug fixes.
1 Like

• Disable typing ‘{’ or ‘}’ into text edit boxes, as they accidentally trigger our localisation systems.

I’d like to do a better solve for this than just disabling it, but for now, outright disabling it is faster and safer.

• Fix PVP duel activity to be localised.
  • “Subscribers” list can now be filtered to only show “favorite” players.
  • Extra safety checks around roads and water generation.
  • Highly buggy buildings now count more toward players’ perception of how buggy their surroundings are.
  • Fixed Quest-Giver statistic graphs to work again. (In 0.17.86 they were showing purely random data)
  • Player thoughts and the thought report now go through localisation systems.
  • Disabled gamepad controls when controlling a character.
  • Updated translation data.
1 Like

0.17.88 :

• Adds a bunch more text to the localisation system (I think everything is now covered by the localisation system!), and adds a first-pass at Italian.
  • NPCs now automatically adjust their levels and the levels of their quests if their region’s level is changed.
  • The “XP & Levelling” interface now enforces that killing monsters must award XP. (Previously, you could cause problems for progression by setting monsters to award 0 xp)
  • Everything in the “Design” windows (including XP/Levelling, character ability editing, character model editing, etc) now applies when you close the window, instead of cancels when you close the window. This should result in a lot less work being accidentally lost!
  • Fixes a bug which could result in extremely long-lasting advertisements, when loading an older saved game.

…and the usual set of smaller bugfixes and improvements!

3 Likes

0.17.89 : Ability editing in another language

This build just fixes a new crash bug which occurred in 0.17.88 if you tried to do much ability editing while the game was set to a language other than English. Oops! Should all be much better now!

New in this build:

• Updated translations!
  • Fixes the “trying to set path secondregion to the same as first region” error which could occur a little while later if you clicked on the raven placement tool again while in the middle of placing a raven flight path. (I was receiving about two reports of this per week)
  • Fixes a crash if you banned the VIP streamer while they were streaming. You monster.
  • Slightly wider spacing on the ‘TODO’ items in the HUD, so they aren’t quite as mashed up into each other as before.
  • Fixes a bunch of broken tooltip localisations and help texts.
  • “Zone Information Window” (used for monster zones) now goes through the localisation system; I almost never look at this one and hadn’t realised I’d missed it in the first localisation pass!
  • Fixes placement of the ‘precise’ placement menu when UIScale is set to a value > 100.
  • Players who are stuck due to a bug are now indicated with a little icon of a bug, instead of having a confusing red cube floating over their heads.
  • Changed formatting of negative dollar amounts from ($amount) to -$amount.

…and a bunch of other more minor fixes and adjustments! Getting really close to calling the basic localisation support work finished!

1 Like

New in this build:

• Language selection has been moved from a ‘Debug’ tab on the options window to the main tab. Additionally, a new “Use Steam Selection” option has been added (default), which sets the game to whatever language Steam tells us to use. Additionally, we now save the language you’ve selected.
  • Flight paths now correctly charge for use, and track the number of players who use them.
  • Fixes placement of ‘precise’ interface when UIScale is set to high values.

…and a bunch of other minor bug fixes and improvements, including a whole bunch more localisation of messages I’d missed before!

1 Like

• Number formatting is now localisable separately from language.
  • Currency symbol is now localisable separately from language.
  • Allow UI scaling down to 50%, for folks on low resolutions.
  • Adjusted the sizing of a whole bunch of UI elements, to make longer translated strings fit more easily.
1 Like

…I’ve apparently been forgetting to post updates!

So I’ll post a quick catch-up:

0.17.93 - 0.17.99

• Adds screensaver to the Desktop interface
  • Updated translations
  • Fixed NPCs being set as the wrong level. (They should be +10 levels compared to the regions they’re in)
  • Fixed drawing of indicators on old-style color pickers.
1 Like

0.17.100 : Text!

New in this build:

• Integrated a brand new text rendering tech which looks heaps sharper and gives us a whole bunch of other cool new features (only some of which we’re using so far)
  • Adds new in-game translations: Czech, Polish, Russian, and Simplified Chinese.

…and that’s actually all. It’s taken me about a week to put this all together, but actually that’s all that’s changed; integrating the new rendering tech and adding the new languages.

Note that the Simplified Chinese glyphs and the Cyrillic glyphs are only visible when you’re set to Simplified Chinese or Russian, respectively, as they’re using special fonts which aren’t available in our normal in-game fonts. I should really find a better solution for this, but this will do for the moment and hopefully should be okay for the vast majority of players!

1 Like

Quick hotfix for a bug which was causing some of the new text shaders to fail to work on AMD GPUs. Should be all good, now!

1 Like

0.17.102: (about a week ago; oops!)

• Updated Chinese fonts to include curly quotes, which the translators are very fond of using. :slight_smile:
  • Fixed string size queries to work properly for multiline strings. This fixed some long strings being squeezed down into the height of a single line of text (most notably things like the descriptions of different MMO types, during the new game flow)
  • Some fixes in text editing to cope with strings we didn’t have glyphs for in the current font.
  • Fixes error messages on NPC placement tools.

0.17.103:

• Fixes string sizing code to work more accurately for non-wrapping strings.
  • Fixes the display of strings which don’t draw using full saturation. Text was being drawn in linear color, instead of SRGB, which means that if it wasn’t full brightness (as happened on headings in the ability editing interface and a few other spots), then it was drawn much much darker than it should have been.
  • Removed a spurious box that was being drawn on the model editor page.
  • Fixes the model editor piece previous buttons being drawn at approximately half resolution, the first time the model editor is opened.
  • Adds a visible “Paused” on-screen indicator, to make it harder to overlook the fact that the game is paused. This indicator can be disabled in the game settings, but it defaults to being shown.
  • Fixes a very rare shutdown crash and a few memory leaks in the new text rendering.
  • Adds some extra sanity checking for our accelerated “How many subscribers are online right now” checks; have had a couple crash reports pointing at it that system in the most recent builds, and this ought to fix those.
  • Fixes default selection cursor being unable to click on things behind flight paths. This was especially a problem when in a view where flight paths were hidden, so you didn’t have any clue why you weren’t able to click on that character or building. Now the cursor collision passes straight through flight paths to let you click on the things that are underneath. (flight paths have never been selectable, so this doesn’t change behaviour in any way other than making it possible to click on things again, in that case)

0.17.104:

Very minor update, this one; just clearing the way for the next (much bigger) update. :slight_smile:

• Desktop screensaver is now silent.
  • Extra safety checks around subscriber count.
  • Updated translation strings for all languages.

0.17.105 (about 30 minutes later):

• Fixed a bug which caused the game to pick the wrong font if you set Steam to play the game in Simplified Chinese, and set the game to use the language set within Steam. (it worked if you selected Simplified Chinese within the game; it only did the wrong thing if you set Chinese in the Steam interface). Quickly fixed!

0.17.106: The “no combat abilities” fix

• This build fixes an issue which could sometimes cause a class’s combat abilities to unexpectedly change the level at which they’re learned. This could result in a player not having any available combat abilities at level 1, which would result in players or monsters being totally unable to fight. The bug is fixed, and the game tries to fix things if it notices that it’s happened in your save.
  • Fixes the pause screen indicator to correctly match the screen size when the screen resizes.
  • Fixes selecting subscribers from the overview window’s subscriber list (which broke if you had very many unsubscribers)
  • Fixes the formatting of times on the clock panel on the HUD.
  • Reduces the VRAM required for shadow rendering.
  • Fixes a crash if you Alt-F4’d out of the game while the ability editing window was open on-screen.
  • Updated translations

…and a bunch of other minor bits and pieces!

0.17.107: Bug fixes, cloud tutorial sync, and… Dutch?

New in this build:

• I believe this fixes the bug some folks were experiencing where an ability’s "learn at level " value was unintentionally changed to a different level. Which could lead to situations where all of a class’s level one attacks were changed to “learn at level 10” or similar, and the class could no longer attack anything at level 1. I’m pretty sure I found the cause and fixed it. And if you load an affected save in this build, it’ll try to fix it automatically during the load.
  • In case the above didn’t fix it, the game now watches for that happening by any means, and will generate an alert letting you know that the class doesn’t have any damage-dealing combat abilities available at level 1, so you can fix it yourself. (please also report it to me if it happens to you, though!)
  • Tutorial progression is now synchronised via Steam Cloud Sync, which means that if you move from one computer to another (when both are running this version or later), both computers will know about tutorials you’ve completed on the other computer, and not prompt you to do them again, by default. (tutorials can still be re-enabled manually)
  • Updated a bunch of localisation, especially costs displayed when using map editing tools.
  • Updated translation data, and adds Dutch as an available language in the options window.

0.17.108:

• Fixed some time-based shaders (ocean water, path rez, etc) to work properly no matter how long the game runs. (They stopped animating smoothly after the game had been running for a few hours at a time; now ifxed)
  • I think I’ve fixed the “IsLoggedIn()” crash, which is the most commonly reported crash left at this point. (But it’s still so rare that it’s nearly impossible for me to test it myself, so I need to send out builds for a larger number of people to test)
  • Fixed a rare text rendering crash which could occur during the loading screen, if the loading thread happened to be building a text mesh at the same moment where the main thread was trying to build the text of the game title.