UI Scaling - missing elements (breaks tutorial)

Issue: Elements disappearing off right side of screen when UI scaling from 100-200. Causes you to get stuck in the tutorial unable to start the game.
Crash (y/n): N
Platform (Windows/Mac/Linux): Windows
Description:

Repeatable issue.

When set to 4k resolution, scaling the UI from 100-200 in a single jump will cause a bug where dialogue boxes on the right side of the screen don’t appear. This prevents you from progressing through the tutorial just after the tutorial asks you to rotate the camera because the tutorial requires you to click okay on a dialog box that is not visible.

If you gradually scale the UI from 100-150, then 150-200 this bug doesn’t happen. It only seems to happen when I scale the UI in a single jump from 100-200. Not a big problem if you know how to fix it, but game breaking for some new players because you can’t even start a new game.

I uploaded an example of the bug here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MuRrbU1uWg
It’s potato quality video but pay attention to the dialogue box in the top right. The video is unlisted.

Thanks for reporting, @Vad! I’m going to look at this tonight! I’m not sure why it’d be different to scale the UI up in steps, rather than all in one go!

Are you using ‘Fullscreen’ or ‘Fullscreen Window’ video mode? It probably shouldn’t matter, but… just as some extra information!

I was playing in fullscreen, I also tried fullscreen window, and just windowed mode. Same problem in all of them.

Cheers!

It’s interesting that it’s only the tutorial message window that isn’t moving into position; that all the HUD and the options window itself do stay correctly in position on the screen! I wonder if that’s maybe a hint about what’s going wrong. I’m definitely checking into this tonight!

Little bit of an addition to this for 4K setups. Not specifically with Tutorial, but about Scaling in General.
At base, the UI is very small, so attempting to fix that…even from 100 to 101…it causes the UI to explode in size to enormous levels, but I don’t think it actually functions to what it shows. Trying to click on elements in this exploded view does nothing.

I have been able to get around this issue by switching to fullscreen, changing my resolution down to 1920X1080, adjusting the UI to a bit too big…then switching it back to 4K. UI elements can be scaled normally once these steps have been done.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting! I think there’s something going wrong in the engine’s understanding of its resolution until after it has resized the window at least once, and that’s probably what’s breaking the UI scaling. I’ll check it out at some point soon!

On a 4K set up here as well and having the same issue. I started in full-screen windowed and it appeared to have the screen resolution switch to 720p when I increased the UI size in any increment. The only way to fix it was to force the game to shutdown and relaunch with defaults.
Switching to full-screen 4K I was able to slowly scale up the UI, but did not attempt to go above 150.

In windowed mode the UI did continue scaling, in relation to the broken resolution, which is why I think it was bugging out and switching the base resolution when scaling UI.

Hope this helps with the diagnostics.