Mountains look a little strange from a high position

Issue:
Crash (y/n): n
Platform (Windows/Mac/Linux): windows
Description: from high positions the mountains look a little weird with dark patches.

Hey! For clarity, can you point at specifically which bit of the image you’re talking about as being “dark patches”? Just to be sure we’re talking about the same thing. Like… MSPaint red arrows pointing at things. :slight_smile:

I’m aware that there are some precision problems with the shadow map, as you zoom away from the map. (That’s actually a surprisingly tricky problem to solve; conventional shadow techniques aren’t really intended to work at this great a distance!) But I’m not sure if that’s what we’re talking about, here.

its mainly the tips of the mountains

Seems likely to either be SSAO or shadows.

Can you try turning off SSAO in the options screen, and then turning off shadows, and see whether the mountains return to looking normal? I’ll investigate on my end, too.

Okay. I found it easier to see what you’re talking about from closer up, and it does appear to mostly be caused by SSAO.

It’s surprisingly tricky to tune SSAO to look nice on small-scale details like characters, as well as on the large-scale features like mountains. And I can’t really turn it off of the mountains without also turning it off of the rest of the terrain… taking a stab at it, though!

Okay, I now have a workaround/fix, which does SSAO on terrain in a slightly different way, which works a whole lot better in this sort of situation, and still looks good in close-ups. This change will be in build 0.13.2, when that happens (maybe later today?)

Thanks for the report!