Letters From Myself · MMORPG Tycoon 2 Devblog

I wish I could give a hug to the me of a year ago.

When you’ve been working on a large codebase for a long time, it’s common to forget bits of it. You create a mental model which represents approximately what a class or a file or a function does, and then throw away your memory of how the inside of the class actually works, to make mental space for other things.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.mmorpgtycoon.com/post/letter_from_me/

Lol! Wonder if you’ll stumble across any other wise and helpful words from Oracle Trevor…

No clue! This is a very old codebase; bits of the engine code, in particular, stretch back nearly a decade. There’s a lot of space for such things to be hiding in.

But I know most of it by heart, these days. It’s only in the weird little neglected nooks of the codebase where helpful forgotten notes from myself really have much of a chance to still be lurking, entirely forgotten.

It’d be neat to stumble over a really old note to myself; this one was only a year old. How amazing would it be to find, say, a ten year old note to yourself, correctly guessing what you’re trying to do today and providing guidance that’s still actually accurate and helpful?

You are sure this is from past you? Are you positive it isn’t from the future?? :slight_smile: