Ground not shown

Issue: (Graphic for ground is not showing, instead entire map looks like ocean.)
Crash (y/n): (N)
Platform (Windows/Mac/Linux): (Mac)
Description: Graphic for ground is not showing. Entire map looks like ocean. Tress and rocks are showing. Buildings can be placed and show, NPCs created and visible. Changing between forest/plains/desert etc does not affect error.

1 Like

I have a friend who tells me he’s seeing exactly this issue, also on Mac; I’ll probably use his laptop to debug it, maybe tomorrow!

Having same issue, also on mac. Any update on how to fix entire map visual being ocean?

Me too
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
macOS 10.13.6
game version 0.17.9-gc87c702_OSX

I’m not seeing it on my MBP ( mid 2012 ), so that’s probably about where the cutoff is.

Am testing this on a more recent MBP literally right now! I’m hoping that I’ll have a fix soon!

Okay, work in progress on fixing this! So far, here’s where I’ve gotten to:

The problem appears to be that the map shader isn’t picking up the correct height of the ground. If I hardcode the shader to have the terrain be exactly 10 meters above the water table everywhere, it looks like this:

So what we can see is that the regions are being generated correctly, as are the terrain height map and normal map. (We know the normal map is right because we can see the correct lighting on the mountains, and we know that the height map is being generated correctly, as the normal map is generated from it, and the normal map is working!)

So… right now, I’m suspicious of how we’re sampling the height map when actually drawing the terrain mesh. Diving in for a second round of testing, but since I had a screenshot I figured I’d share it!

I have an experimental fix for this issue up in a build on the ‘test’ beta branch on Steam!

If you right-click on the game in the Steam interface, choose ‘Properties’, and go to the ‘Betas’ tab, choose ‘test’ from the drop-down menu and let Steam update the build… hopefully that’ll sort out this issue!

If you get a chance to give it a try, please let me know whether it works for you!

Hi Trevor,

A very brief test and the issue appears to have been fixed.

Thanks for the response.

Awesome, thanks for testing! I’ll move this over to the ‘Bugs-Fixed’ category once the fix makes it into the default steam branch.