I gotta say, I’ve been having a blast with the game so far. It’s like a dream come true. I’m currently 50 hours in and designing my first lv 10 zone. However, my imagination was already pushing its limits on zone 6. Abilities, monsters, and quests were just too samey to one another. I wanted to share some of my experiences and some ideas of mine that I’d do, would I be working on the game (I totally wish I could). Since this is most I can do currently to help, I really wish the devs could see this at least to serve as a inspiration standpoint.
Spells/Abilities : When selecting the effect type, maybe showing a grid instead of column (with similar effects on same line)? New effects like Aoe( hits mob at distance N of target as well) Or bouncing attack. Push/Pull target (move Target N meters in relation to self, onto walkable surface only). Summon spells. Debuff immunity(also serves as a dispel). Freeze effect ( a stun that breaks upon damage). Ability to choose the debuff FX on the target.
SpellCosts: apart from rage/mana costs, Add coin, cash, self inflicted debuff/buff as a cost of a of activating a spell. So lets say I can cast this giant fireball but I’m stunned for 3 seconds for doing so and take DoT damage as well Or freeze myself in a frost spell. Also maybe a third kind of mana bar that does not increase on its own and is exclusive to spells to control and use it.
Effects: Increasing Max health/mana/rage. Modify damage/magic_damage and differentiate the 2. Allow modification to slow % and allow speed up as well. A modifiable probability % for a chosen effect to occur when the spell is cast(should be pretty easy to have a pre generated pseudo random number list where you loop over it for dice rolls).
PassiveAbilities: They would have a extra thing to choose from. A condition to occur. A list of like health gained/lost, mana gain, Is stunned, is rooted, mov speed above/below value, current health above/below value, just periodically activate. The effects would be same as usual but cannot trigger another passive. 3: the target of the effect, being the usual self && condition inflictor
Equipment: If the game had editable item and loot tables id be asking for a vacations just to play this game. I swear, this game NEEDS this. The main problem I see with not adding items(apart from the lack of variety it could give) is that the combat is way too predetermined exclusive by level. Basically if a lv 2 warrior beats a lv 2 wolf, then a lv 10 warrior will beat a lv 10 wolf as each scales the same as they grow in level.
When I imagine designing a item. First, they could be Weapon, Armor, consumables, quest Item. They will have assignable rarities (thrash, common, rare, epic ,legendary). Each rarity has a editable drop chance assigned to it. Each rarity is sold for different prices to and from the vendors from its assignable base price.
Loot table: say you can create various loot tables in a separate screen. A single loot table would contain just the set of items assigned to it and maybe its Level, can also add repeats to increase probability. A loot table would then be assigned to a zone or a elite mob. A loot table can also be assigned to a Shop allowing the shop to sell those items or a quest reward/chest. With rarity determining its gold cost. Level would also affect item gold cost.
Weapon: Could be of various hardcoded types(sword, bow, staff,…) Would give a single active spell to the yielder. Equipment restrictions would be decided on the class design screen.
Armour: Again could just be hardcoded types(cloth, leather, plate). Would give a single passive spell to the yielder.
Consumables: Give to the user a single active spell for a single use, the item is then consumed.
Mounts: More gold sink and a good place for more premium stuff
Accessories: Wings, halos, glowie effects, sunglasses, hats, pets. All useful gold sinks.
Auction House: A place where the players will sell stuff they don’t need at (slightly lower price) and buy stuff they do need. Also a good way to get the right items to the right hands and make them spend their gold. Who knows, maybe this could make a hell of a market simulator.
Quests: They are currently way way too basic, not to mention that players seems to prefer grinding and just ignore questing altogether. Specially the second quest pretty much never gets completed, or if there is unrelated monster zone between the class objective and the class giver.
Fetch item quest: have placeable interactable chests and doodads that the player needs to loot from in order to complete the quest. Or just find N of the chosen quest item from a loot table.
Escort Quest: After the player accepts the quest, the quest giver will start walking towards the chosen quest destination (maybe have a editable path). The players must protect him. If new players meet him halfway, they can grab the quest midway without interrupting the npc and proceed to help. When npc reaches the destination every surrounding player with the quests, completes the quest.
Quest reward: Assign a individual item or loottable to a quest. Players could get a random item from the loot table or choose N of them.
Class quest: If the chosen NPC quest giver is of a class type, then his quest can only be grabbed by that class type.
Hunt player: kill N players of lv L for pvp worlds.
Trap Quest: The quest giver will become hostile and attack the player as soon as he gets the quest. Quest is completed if player kills the NPC.
NPC: Why can you design only 2 NPCs?? I honestly don’t know why that restriction. The guards and npc could have their lvs editable, player of other factions could choose to attack it. They could also use a editable patrol route.
Class trainer: Maybe have a way to cap the skill lv they teach? It could be the zone level, but in that case you could just make a lv 50 capital city with all trainers, but I guess thats designers choice anyway.
Monster Zone: They could use a editable agroo radius(maybe editable in the monster design instead) and chase distance ( the heroes need to learn to runway for that though). But still useful against kiters. They could also have a edit color scheme button which will edit only that specific monster zone, a add a title to the name eg “dread” wolf, and a Sync with all monsters of this Type and Level button. They could also have a assignable loot table^ and grid selection when selecting monster.
Elite Monster zone: Allow to link more than 1 elite monster together, so they walk as a group. The edit color scheme and loot tables ^ as well. They can also have a editable patrol zone that they follow. Agroo radius. A edit size scale and power scale screen. A reason for players to give a shit about it. Players atm just ignore the Giant crocodile roaming in a crowded city.
Trap Monster Zone: The zone is empty, but spawns a monster to attack the player when he enters the zone. The crocs are alot scarier when you cant see the 50 of them just waiting for you underwater.
Loot Zone: Editable zone that adds that loot table to all normal monsters inside that zone.
Elite treasure chest: Similar to the elite monster placement, it just places a single interactable object that has a loot table assigned to it and players can choose to loot it. It could just have a fixed respawn rate of 10s but not allow the same player to take it again. Or have a assignable respawn rate and just have the Real player deal with it by adding more monsters to defend it.
Players: Their favorite action so far, is to walk across the continent, through a high lv zone filled with spiders, to reach another zone of their level, to kill a single bear that agrooed then travel back.
- They seem to lack the enthusiasm of checking out a never seen before zone or just exploring in general.
- They dont give a shit about the server adding new classes, you would expect a lot of people would create alts with the new classes.
- They never ever help a fellow player getting attacked nearby (I’m guessing no shared xp in this world huh ).
- They don’t give a shit about endgame content. It feels like they know beforehand whether a monster is stronger than your average monster. So they tend to avoid quests related to those monsters.
- Groups seems to be falling apart constantly if a party member dies. Party could use a party rez and party summon spells.
- They like to travel back and forth non stop. talk some, kill random mob, travel elsewhere. Just saying that humans are a tad more efficient and if they were to travel across the zone, they would likely do the quests along the way.
- The hacking is kind of a pain to deal with, i wish I could just pay the support team to deal with that. The game needs more places to spend money anyway. I just end up favoriting the speed hackers to play as them.
- They need to shut up about dying all the time and git gud. In their mind, highest DPS = top tier. Invincible support class with shit dps and a broken avg time to death = needs buff.
- Being able to create your own character and play your game would be awesome. Can you imagine if a not so popular streamer like, SpiffinBritt, played and his subscribers could actually join his created world?
SocialActivities: I guess this feature is about to come, but to mention a few ideas. Guilds with guild houses and their own random regenerated tabard. Guild organizes guild events, meetings, raids(lets tackle our most common highest lv quest or smt). Have L33T guilds that allow no one but no lives gurus and high lv players to join. Asking high lv buddy to do elite quest.
- Inns: There never seems to be enough inns. I guess players create accounts just to use up my inns slot then stop playing. I also made over a 4 million by charging real money in them. Have a list of players that i can click through that are inside the Inn, also have the sort by class/level/name functionality. Every building could use this feature.
- Graveyards: Could deduct gold/cash from players if the choose to not walk to their corpse.
- GateHouses: Could prevent player from going through unless he meets a chosen criteria. min/max Level, pay gold/cash, has specific questitem. class type.
- Banks: Although probly not necessary in the current version. They would be excellent if the above item ideas were implemented.
- 2 way portal: Another travel method.
- Boat/zepplin: Would be specially useful if they were also longer than the normal flight paths.
Could also use a larger grid than as 2xN. Maybe add a subcategory menu. Rocks and trees could also randomize after placing them. Having placeable fences or something else with collision would be nice. Integrating the scenery, monster models and spell FX to the steam workshop would be great at increasing game content.
Tycoon Aspect: Where are all the graphs?? where are all the statistics?? How are you suppose to balance stuff and see through this gigantic world without graphs to help you.
- Quests: The statistics should apply to each quests differently, otherwise you would have to create a npc per quest to track them. Show various plot lines, 1 per quests on the graphs. It could also use avg completion time, fastest completion time, preferably by class.
- Monsters: The monster design screen of a certain monster can have statistics of how many of each class it killed and killed it. Highest kill streak of the day.
- Classes: The class screen could have statistic and graphs about avg death amount by level. Avg monster kill amount by level. Avg quest done by level. Avg time to level per level. Avg dps per level, Avg gold per level. Skill usage %(the percentage wise the class chose each skill).
- Overview: There should be graphs about avg gold per level. The subscriber page should be sortable by Level/name/gold/class and type(streamer, guro, etc).
- Limitations: I’m not entirely sure why so many limitations on the number of designable NPCS, classes, monsters, spells. I don’t see why not just pay indefinately to unlock more. Also limitations on health values and effect values. Why cant I increase the damage taken over 100%? or more than 30 base health.
- Regions: Pie chart containing time spent questing, dead, chatting ,afk ,fighting, shopping, walking. Pie chart with quests completed by class. Pie chart with deaths per class. Pie chart with class distribution in region,
I know I may have said quite a lot about the game and it may come across as rude or undermining the game. But actually all these ideas were possible as result of a already great base game that still has loads of potential in its future.