Game crash for no reasons.

Issue: my game always Crash
Crash (y/n): Y
Platform (Windows/Mac/Linux): Windows 10
Version number: 0.18.96
Description: When I start a new game, save it, or just pass a checkpoint, my game crash with the error message :
“Failed assertion: Trying to write into a file that’s not in ‘user/’??
Failed condition: (0== filename.find(“user/”))
at VS_FDile.cpp125.”

It’s been 2 days and i don’t see anyone else who got the same problem.
Can u help me please ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, sorry about this bug! We’ve had a look and we’re not actually getting crash reports from you for some reason. Please send us the log file located here: %appdata%\roaming\VectorStorm\MMORPG Tycoon 2\log.txt
to the following email address: support@vectorstorm.com.au
Thanks!

I have a theory about what might be triggering this error message. I’m going to be putting a public ‘test’ build up on Steam shortly to test my theory. Once it’s there (I’ll post another comment in this thread), it’d be fantastic if you could switch your MMORPG Tycoon 2 install over to the ‘test’ beta branch (which you can find by right-clicking on the game inside your Steam library and choosing ‘Properties’) and try out the update.

It’ll probably take about an hour for the update to get there; I’ll post an update here once it’s there!

And that update is up on the ‘test’ build now; it’s version 0.19.5.

If you could give it a try again in the build and see if you have the same problem again, or if the error message changes, that’d be really helpful!

2 Likes

Hi
First of all : Ty for respond me !
I tried to save a game and the new error message is :
" Failed assertion : Code error: trying to write into a file ‘save/Guardians of Blades/recent.vrt’ which isn’t in our user-writable directory!
Failed condition: (0 == filename.find(“user/”))
at VS_File.cpp:125. "
( Guardians of Blades is my save’s name )

Thanks! That gives me a good starting point on where to look for the problem!

2 Likes

Hi ! With the version , 0.19.6 the game works at all ! It’s not crashing now ! TYSM

Thanks for the report, Aku!

I think I have a crash report from you as well which shows me a lot more detail about what was going wrong before, and I think you’re now being caught by one of our fallback paths (which had a subtle bug in it which I fixed in 0.19.6), which keeps the game functional for you.

I have a few more things I’m going to try to see whether I can’t get you back onto the main code path for saves (which would make saves slightly faster and use slightly less memory)… but the game should remain playable for you from now on! Thanks so much for the logs and other data; I probably wouldn’t have been able to find the problem without them; the problem wasn’t anywhere close to where I thought it would be!

2 Likes