Bug Discoussion finding and killing them

Report about bugs in this discussion

If i start the game (just downloaded it) i see this erroe massage:
Faild assertion: Error coudn`t find key??
Faild condition: (found) at VS_HashTabel,h:108

Thanks for posting, ferdi!

Wow, that’s a terrible error message. I really ought to improve that. Can you post the log for the run? It’ll be in a file named log.txt; Windows should automatically open the folder which contains that file, after generating the error message.

That error message is complaining that somebody’s trying to remove an item from a hash table, but that the item doesn’t appear to have actually been listed in the hash table.

In this case, the only bit of code that ever tries to remove something from a hash table is a particular ugly piece of code for trying to wrangle singletons between libraries. (If you’re into reading C++ source code, you can see my documentation about the problem here). This vsSingletonManager class is ancient code; I haven’t touched it since 2009, and had pretty much forgotten it even existed. I long since gave up on making this work for what it was designed to do, and am kind of surprised that it’s still in the codebase at all.

But with that said, it should only be getting into that code when it’s shutting down a game system. When I’m running the game, I don’t reach that code at all until I’ve been all the way into the game, and quit back out to the main menu. Which makes me worry that something else is going wrong for you; perhaps OpenGL isn’t starting up correctly, or something like that, and this is bad handling of an error? If you can provide the log’s contents, that should hopefully give me a much better idea of where the problem is coming from!

Thanks heaps for posting about the problem! Looking forward to tracking it down and making it better, whatever it turns out to be. :slight_smile:

yeah I have the same issue.

clicking ok closes the error message but the game continues to run in task manager although no sound or anything else happens.

I have been unable to locate the log file that you are after.

The log file will be here:

C:\Users\<your login name>\AppData\Roaming\VectorStorm\MMORPG Tycoon 2\log.txt

Normally, if you click on the ‘OK’ button on that assertion message, it ought to open that directory up in Explorer automatically.

====== Initialising file system
UserDir: C:\Users\yxxxx
BaseDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MMORPG Tycoon 2
Search path: C:\Users\yxxxx\AppData\Roaming\VectorStorm\MMORPG Tycoon 2
Search path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MMORPG Tycoon 2\Data
Loading preferences…
Checking supported resolutions…
Available Modes
0: 1600 x 900
1: 1440 x 900
2: 1366 x 768
3: 1360 x 768
4: 1280 x 800
5: 1280 x 768
6: 1280 x 720
7: 1280 x 600
8: 1152 x 864
9: 1024 x 768
10: 800 x 600
11: 640 x 480
12: 640 x 400
13: 512 x 384
14: 400 x 300
15: 320 x 240
16: 320 x 200
Initialising [1024x768] resolution…
Found 1 displays:
Display #0 Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900)

Failed to create OpenGL context??
Failed assertion: Error: couldn’t find key??
Failed condition: (found)
at VS_HashTable.h:108

Thanks, yxxxx2003! That’s definitely complaining that it’s failed to create an OpenGL rendering context. I need to fix that so that it won’t crash, but that’s definitely on a fatal error codepath.

What video card are you using? I’ll do a little research.

i (not Yxxx) have intel HD graphics

====== Initialising file system
UserDir: C:\Users\ferdi
BaseDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MMORPG Tycoon 2
Search path: C:\Users\ferdi\AppData\Roaming\VectorStorm\MMORPG Tycoon 2
Search path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MMORPG Tycoon 2\Data
Loading preferences…
Checking supported resolutions…
Available Modes
0: 1366 x 768
1: 1360 x 768
2: 1280 x 768
3: 1280 x 720
4: 1280 x 600
5: 1024 x 768
6: 800 x 600
7: 640 x 480
8: 640 x 400
9: 512 x 384
10: 400 x 300
11: 320 x 240
12: 320 x 200
Initialising [1024x768] resolution…
Found 1 displays:
Display #0 Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768)

Failed to create OpenGL context??
Failed assertion: Error: couldn’t find key??
Failed condition: (found)
at VS_HashTable.h:108

I have an laptop with optimus. the game is automatically defaulting to use the intel card. If I force the game to run with the nvidia card the game starts without issue.

prehaps an issue with intel’s built in graphics

@ferdi98701 Right now, we require support for OpenGL 3.3.

According to Intel’s documentation of their chipset support, that means that we would not support “Intel HD Graphics” (Nehalem / Lynnfield CPU architecture), or “Intel HD Graphics 2000”, “Intel HD Graphics 3000” (Sandy Bridge architecture), but would support “Intel HD Graphics 2500” or more recent (Ivy Bridge architecture). Do you have access to anything more recent that you could test on?

With all that said, I don’t know how well we’d run on an Intel integrated GPU, even if it does support the OpenGL version we need; I’ve never tried it, and Intel’s integrated GPU chipsets tend to be much, much slower than discrete GPUs. If somebody does have access to an Intel GPU which can run the game, I’d be very interested to hear about how well it performs!

it says mine supports 3.1 or 4 of open gl (only laptop/pc) THX

The new build should no longer give the key-related assertion; instead, it will give a more useful error message letting you know that it can’t create an OpenGL 3.3 context, if that is in fact the problem.

Seems to be working fine for me now. I reset my nvidia control panel to defaults as well to make sure that any settings I had changed had been reverted.