After 30 hours, here are my thoughts

I discovered the game through the Spiffing Brit’s exploit video. Quickly fell in love with the concept. I’ve put in just under 30 hours in a week and have created three “games”.

• Love the main menu and “logging in” intro. Really fun :slight_smile:
  • The techno computer “Connect to” cinematic is annoying after the first viewing, a skip button to just display a static screen would be more ergonomic
  • Also, let me double-click the icon in addition to clicking the “Connect To” button
  • Beauty meter is obviously just a “count” of scenery objects and as that goes, that’s fine. I wouldn’t waste time writing an algorithm to “read” and “analyze” beauty. A better use of time would be to have the game create fake beauty numbers for rival MMOs the player’s game is competing against, and provide “Low”, “Medium”, and “High” beauty levels relative to the competing MMOs. That would be more useful.
  • For regions, in the region popup window, please display the region’s overall beauty # (raw) and relative beauty # (for comparable level’d regions in the (competitor mmos).
  • An admin dashboard showing a quick chart of regions, displaying the name of the regions vertically on the left and the # users, # residents, # bandwidth from uplinks, and # bandwidth consumed along the top would be useful. When doing checks that each region is “doing well”, I have to click on each one individually, and this shouldn’t be so awkward to do.

Some more options for the world creation would be great:

• is your game going to be a DnD style 1-20, where you’re probably going to have each zone be a single-level zone, or are you going the WoW-route where each zone encompasses 4-6 levels (at least how it was in Vanilla).
  • that choice would inform if your regions should be the current kind-of-small vs the WoW vast regions where each one is almost the size of a MMORPG Tycoon 2 continent
  • more control over the default distribution of Terrain types, or at least spawn each region blank and allow the player to populate it upon “activating” the region from the Grid.
  • please remove the default (or allow the player to cancel) placement of trees with the Pine Forest / Forest / Swamp terrain types.
  • also, the placement of scenery objects in the water along coastlines needs some work
  • a scenery “Brush” tool, to allow the placement of scenery objects in clumps (size + density sliders), would be tremendously appreciated

Themepark tools

• I’m looking at the actions the “characters” can engage in and there are some clear omissions that I hope are on the roadmap for the game’s development:
  • “Professions” that draw “characters” to specific pieces of scenery (to “collect” or farm resources) and doodads to ideally be placed in towns for the characters to “create” items (gear or potions)
  • Minigame areas or just “stalls” like the ‘shop-building’, providing magnets for characters to be drawn towards when they’re socializing or not-adventuring (so as to draw them away from active areas to better distribute character density across the game world

Controlling character power levels / difficulty

• I’m not sure how monster difficulty : XP rewards are calculated; if I just make monsters have higher, like 30 HP, does that mean the game is harder, or do those monsters award more XP than 10 HP monsters?
  • the game allows tremendous versatility to abilities, but that’s not the thing I’m terribly interested in. I kind of wish there was an option box to automate that portion of the game, just dropdowns for “Support”, “Ranged/Melee DPS”, “Tank”, etc.

Player socializing; for Guilds, I hope there are the following options:

• see the top Guilds in the game among several filters; pop #s, dungeon completion / progression, highest # of max level characters, highest ranking among pvp metrics, etc
  • designation of “plots” for player housing and for Guild housing

When making NPC monster zones, the things I wish I had are:

• tent doodads
  • wasteland terrain set, like cracked dry-lakebed
  • bloodsplatters or piles of dead with arrows sticking out of them
  • piles of weapons, like a barrel with a half dozen swords sticking out of it
  • fires with smoke emanating off of it

More thoughts to come later

1 Like

New quest type: Collect X from this mob pack

Where you designate a # of X to collect and the likelihood (%) one would drop from that mob.

1 Like

more control over the default distribution of Terrain types, or at least spawn each region blank and allow the player to populate it upon “activating” the region from the Grid.

This is already in the game, but it’s not obvious that you can do it - you can change the terrain types of zones you haven’t unlocked yet, same as for “your” zones. So if you want a whole continent to be mostly pine forest with some snow, you can make it so.

also, the placement of scenery objects in the water along coastlines needs some work

Right now things are simply placed on the water, which is a good thing for some objects but annoying for others. Allowing for custom Z axis placement in general would fix both water and placement issues around hills. Being able to stack things on top of each other would also be very nice in general.

I’m not sure how monster difficulty : XP rewards are calculated; if I just make monsters have higher, like 30 HP, does that mean the game is harder, or do those monsters award more XP than 10 HP monsters?

I’m pretty sure that XP rewards depend only on the monster’s level and whether it was placed as an elite monster or was generated by a monster zone.

I was building a capitol city and wanted to do a line of identical row housing. What I have to do is place modular buildings down and reshape each one, one at a time to be what I want.

I wish I could copy + paste a mod. building shape.

I’ve been experimenting but cant get the terrain to display as black, dark brown, or gray. My goal is to try to depict evil/corrupted earth, farming soil, or an ashen landscape (in that order).

So if I create a “Capitol City” region, and make it levels 1-20, and place a Blacksmith there… would a lvl 6 character and a lvl 12 character buy the same item?

Do Blacksmiths sells gear for the level of the region they’re in, or for the level of the character that is buying?

Can a character travel to a higher level region and buy higher level gear from a higher level blacksmith? How does this work?

Edit: This is an issue because I’m seeing characters amass thousands of gold and I’m trying to come up with gold sinks, and the only tools I have are to charge for flight paths, potions, taverns, and gear.

1 Like

Limits of the game’s automation?

Currently have 4500 users online, 45k subscribers, on version 5.5.0, and I can hardly get passed an auto-save without the cursor changing to the Windows “blue circle” icon indicating the program is almost-crashing.

Computer stats might be useful for troubleshooting:

i5 9600 @ 3.7 gz
16 gb Ram
GTX 1080

For the autosave problem, turn off the autosave. For me autosave takes a significant amount of time to be done and with autosave it happens way too often pretty much slowing down the game every minute or so… I just turned it off completely and im having way smoother experience

I am quite intrigued by your idea of Capital City. Since players level and then leave the zone you are in, how do you decide which zone will be your capital city? Just curious! Would love to read your ideas.
Thanks
Mazi

A new feature for zone type would be required, something that overrides level restrictions for that zone.

When you create a zone and make it only for levels 8-9, then the game doesn’t let you place a level 15 baddie there. A “Capital” zone shouldn’t have those restrictions; you should be able to place any level creature that would fit the tone and tenor of the zone you’re creating.

For me, it’s the shops I’m more concerned about; how does the game go about “selling” weapons and armor to the players? If I create a level 1-20 zone, and place a blacksmith shop in there, will a level 3 character purchase a level 20 item and not need to upgrade again for the rest of the game?

At that shop, you can only set item price once. So even if characters can only buy the level-armor/weapon appropriate for themselves, doesn’t this mean level 20s are buying level 20 gear at the same price that level 5’s are? Shouldn’t higher level gear cost more?

It’s concerns like that.